Plain Eccentricity


Downtown Toronto attracts Eccentrics like a flame attracts moths.
Going downtown never ceases to surprise me. I will always be intrigued by the fashion choices (fuchsia legwarmers anyone?), the variety of cuisine selection (street meat vs. street fish?), and, interestingly, beverage choice (a guy on the subway was non-chalantly chugging back a can of beer). And let's not forget the scruffy old men who hit on young women on the subway.

Everytime I go downtown (which actually isn't that often), I feel like a tourist.
I get lost easily, so of course, I need to consult a map. I'm wearing my sensible shoes and there isn't a hint of fuchsia on me. There is nothing eccentric about me and so I stand out like a banana in a bowl of grapes. So does that make me eccentric? Funny how I need to be eccentric to blend in. My plainness stands out amongst street performers, sharply dressed professionals, and fashionable students. Maybe next time I venture downtown I should bring a trumpet and wear a sombrero. Maybe I'll even bring a martini.

2 comments:

Dave said...

You'll always be a capitol 'E' Eccentric in my books, Katie.

bex said...

"My plainness stands out amongst street performers, sharply dressed professionals, and fashionable students."

SO true.