Tony and the Hour


Recently Tony Campolo was on The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos.
To view the interview go to: http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/video.php?id=1401

The conversation was quite interesting and I love the way Tony Campolo is very frank with his faith and beliefs, "Get to the red letters. Jesus said, 'You have heard of an eye for an eye but I give you a new commandment.' And I don't want to be nasty, by when Jesus says 'I give you a new commandment,' I think he means it's a new commandment."

Some of the conversation revolved around how some Christians are distracted by contraversy such as abortion and homosexuality, and they aren't getting to the heart of what Christianity is all about; they're missing the point. Jesus said, "I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me" (Matthew 25:42-43). I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to hear those words when I die. And don't we all miss the point sometimes? We get so distracted by contraversy like teen pregnancy and gay marriage, but what does it accomplish by heaping insults and judgement on them? Are we accomplishing Jesus' goal? No where in the red letters does it say, 'reject the unwed mother,' or 'kill abortionists.' Jesus clearly calls us to love, and we would be hypocrites not to stand by that commandment if we claim to be followers of Christ.

0 comments: