Long Weekend Hijinx


Last Thursday evening, Jeremy and I headed up to the cottage for a nice relaxing Easter weekend. We had instructions for the water pumps, warm clothes, yummy groceries, and expectations of a relaxing weekend. Little did we know what we were actually in for.

On Monday evening, before the weekend, my Grandfather leant us a flashlight so that we could see our way into the cottage on Thursday night. I put the flashlight in my backpack so that it wouldn't be forgotten and we headed out. However, at the last minute, I decided not to bring my backpack and, as a result, did not bring the flashlight. Where we park at the cottage is at the top of a cliff and there is a staircase going down the side of the rocks to get to the cottage. Clearly, this is not a good situation in the dark, especially when there is still snow and ice on the stairs. Despite the lack of flashlight, we made it down and into the cottage.

Backtrack: When we were about 20 minutes away from the cottage, Jeremy noticed that it was really loud while we were driving. I insisted that it was because there was lots of sand on the roads to melt the ice. Jeremy said the steering felt a little weird, but we just blamed it on the snow and sand.

Fast Forward: On Friday, we decided to go into town to get some groceries. My brother and his girlfriend were going to come up (which ended up being just my brother because Sara's grandmother died) and we needed to get some food for the weekend. I started driving and noticed once we got off the dirt cottage road that the steering did indeed feel a little weird. I didn't really know what I would find, but I decided to pull over and check things out. I walked around to the front of the car - everything looked fine - then made my way to the passenger side. My mouth dropped and my eyes bulged out of their sockets. We had the flattest tire ever. We had actually been driving on the rim.

Obviously, we needed to put the spare tire on. So Jeremy opened up the trunk and the lid to get to the spare tire. Much to our surprise the spare tire was encased in ice. Yes. You read correctly. There must have been a leak or when snow fell in the trunk when we opened it earlier must have melted and settled in with the tire. We headed back to the cottage (we were 2 minutes away) and I began to take trips up and down the stairs to boil water and pour it around the tire. We eventually got the tire out, scooped out the water from the trunk and changed the tire. Oh mercy me.

I wanted to document the events with some pictures, but my camera batteries died and Jeremy kept getting mad at me when I went hunting for batteries in the cottage. We were going to buy batteries in town, but we had the flat tire!

Everything eventually got taken care of, we eventually got to relax, and we eventually made it into town - by sheer luck. The gas light was on and we were going to run out any second. And wouldn't you know, the gas station in town was closed when we got there. Again, it was sheer luck that we made it back to the cottage on what little gas we had left. Fortunately, my brother was coming up and he followed us into town the next day so that if we ran out of gas on the way to the gas station, he could drive us the rest of the way and we could fill up a jerry can. We made it to town, though.

All in all, we had a very eventful weekend and I would very much like another long weekend to make up for the last one.


3 comments:

bex said...

You need a vacation from your "vacation."

Dave said...

Hilarious Katie. Encased in ice!? That's some great stuff.

d. chedwick bryant said...

sounds like fun--now you know how the Donner party felt--way before they started eating each other tho!